Built in 1933, this solid masonry structure originally housed the boiler plant for the University of Northern Colorado. In later years, the tall curved windows were infilled and intermediate floors added to house classrooms. The Arts Annex project expanded the photography and jewelry departments in the original structure and extended the sculpture and ceramics departments into the addition.
CLIENT: University of Northern Colorado
SCOPE: 9,400-Square-Foot Addition; 10,260-Square-Foot Renovation
COST: $3.2 Million
The addition’s curved wall and walkway on the north buffer students from the busy entry drive. The enclosed kiln yard on the south wraps around three large evergreen trees and creates a sheltered sculpture garden.