Located in the small district of Gering, Nebraska, the original Lincoln Elementary School was built in 1925 and added onto in 1949. The 3-story K-6 school was severely overcrowded and the District had already provided modular classrooms and labs to help alleviate the problem. RB+B, in conjunction with Joseph R. Hewgley & Associates, thoroughly investigated the old building and found that there were extensive ADA compliance violations throughout, as well as undersized classrooms and antiquated mechanical and electrical systems. The District voted to pursue razing the old school and designing a new one.
CLIENT: Gering Public Schools
SCOPE: 49,804 Square Feet
COST: $7 Million
RB+B worked closely with the District to design the New Lincoln Elementary School on the existing site and provided assistance in helping the community pass the required bond. When the bond passed, a collaborative design process resulted in a high-performance elementary school that would achieve LEED certification – a first for Western Nebraska.
Optimum building orientation, daylight harvesting, low-water usage plumbing fixtures, high-efficiency mechanical equipment, displacement ventilation, and a super-tight building envelope are all part of the school’s high performance design. Operable windows and high-performance glazing help to save energy and increase occupant comfort. Historical elements from the old building were incorporated into the new school as well as environmentally-sensitive materials such as beetle-kill pine. Because of the area’s ties to the Oregon Trail, a wagon theme is used throughout the school in creative ways, helping to merge the new facility with the community’s history.
RB+B was the design architect for this project. The Architect of Record was Joseph R. Hewgley & Associates, Inc.