RB+B recognizes that the most creative and important assets we have are our staff; each year our co-workers commit to the firm creates an occasion to be celebrated! But at five-year milestones, we take a little extra time to check in with our talented team members to celebrate their major accomplishments, and get their take on what’s important moving into the future.
Five Minutes with Denise
What are some of your proudest moments at RB+B?
- Attending the ceremony celebrating RB+B being named firm of the year by Colorado AIA – 2004
- Representing RB+B at meetings, conventions and professional functions
- Accepting ASID Crystal awards for our projects
- Walking into a project and watching users interact in a space I designed.
- Being part of the design team on any one of our projects
Tell us some funny things that have happened at RB+B.
- Thanksgiving eve circa 1992 – accidentally deleted entire C drive while backing up my computer for the long holiday weekend(!).
- Working on remodeling buildings that I worked on originally, or worse, the project gets demolished.
- A lot of water leaking on to my desk in the basement level, destroying screens, keyboards and papers
- Working long hours and weekends for months on major projects and kind of enjoying it, as I knew it might be the last time I put in those kinds of hours on a project ever!
Why do you enjoy working at RB+B?
I look forward to coming to work at RB+B because of the incredible creative people I am privileged to work with, the amazing projects and clients and the encouragement and support of the staff and management. Being part of the design team and accomplishing our goals is extremely gratifying. I enjoy the comfortable work atmosphere and our office culture.
Tell us your future goals.
I plan on completing my remaining years with RB+B with the same enthusiasm, energy and passion as the past 30 years. After that, I plan on going out on my bike at 9:30 am on a Wednesday morning, snowboarding mid-week, cleaning all my closets, sketching and doing some traveling with my husband. I plan on staying healthy and fit well into my 90s!!
What do you enjoy outside of work hours?
I have trouble sitting still, so I don’t read. I enjoy figure skating, mountain biking, neighborhood hikes, occasional snowboarding, and hanging out at my beautiful home with my husband Jeff.
What drew you to RB+B and why have you stayed?
I came into RB+B (Robb, Brenner and Brelig) because of the reputation of the company, the team and the types of projects they complete. The size of the office, the incredibly talented people and the stability of the firm drew me in and kept me on board for all these years. The opportunity to express my energetic passion for design on so many different projects and to be part of such incredible teams has been both challenging, enjoyable and rewarding. I also appreciate learning from and working with younger staff. The opportunity to reach professional goals and RB+B’s support of staff growth and development has been much appreciated. I have been fortunate to watch the company evolve and grow and to be a part of it all. I truly enjoy and look forward to every single day at RB+B.
Tell us about a hidden talent or passion.
I really never thought I would ever travel much outside of the USA, but being so fortunate to have traveled to Europe twice in the past two years, I certainly look forward to exploring more of our world!
If you could share advice with your 20/30 year old self, what would it be?
My advice to me would be to keep an open mind, be willing to learn and accept criticism. Time goes by so quickly, if you have something you want to do, do it. Stay active, healthy, happy, smile, be friendly, kind, positive and helpful. And—save up for when you are old!